• Proficiency in sensory, ingredient function, food technology, and application across the organizations category sectors (salad dressings, marinades, coffee, & baked goods).
• Track progress of all open projects, consistently reporting progress status of all formal R&D projects to the QA/R&D Manager.
• Manage research projects for quality improvements, cost optimization, process improvement and innovative ingredient and process technologies with a keen eye for detail.
• Manages product development projects from conception to commercialization, including conceptualization and prototyping, experimental design, material identification, selection and sourcing, packaging, and labeling, and manufacturing processes in accordance with business objectives, customer demand, and regulatory requirements.
• Develop new methods and new approaches to resolve complex food-chemistry challenges.
• Hands-on development of new prototypes against required consumer, safety, regulatory, commercialization and cost parameters.
• Assist with sourcing and evaluation of new vendors and/or ingredients.
• Prepares written reports for the development of new products, beginning at conception through successful commercialization. Selects appropriate methods, tests, and procedures for testing.
• Stay abreast of global food technologies and products, bringing ongoing flow of new ideas and products to the innovation pipeline in alignment with business units’ strategic direction.
• Develops product documents, including specifications, technical information, costing, timelines, and objectives.
• Sets up new items for commercialization through internal ERP software.
• Conducts and leads assessment and capability studies, product startups/commercialization and provides on-site support to Plant Operations for new products, productivity, and quality programs.
• Provide technical support to Customer Service, Operations, Procurement and Quality.
• Serve as backup for R&D Manager and R&D Tech I.
• Perform other duties assigned.
Education: M.S./B.S. in Food Science, Food Technology, Food Engineering, or related field.
Experience: 3 – 5 years of food/bakery R&D, formulation, & product development experience.
TRAVEL: estimated up to 15%.
• Ability to work in a team environment and independently in a flexible work environment with changing priorities.
• Self-starter with strong initiative to seek improvements.
• Highly efficient at planning and staying on tight timelines and planning projects accordingly.
• Strong knowledge of food labeling, product claims, and food technology.
• Strong organizational skills with a proven ability to move multiple projects forward in a constructive and positive manner.
• Exceptional attention to detail.
• Must demonstrate independent and critical thinking ability, hands-on mentality/ qualities.
• Effective presentation, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Must be able to work extended hours including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision within guidelines and processes.
• Valid driver’s license and ability to drop off samples as needed.
• Must be able to communicate effectively in English and Spanish.
• This position reports directly to the QA/R&D Manager.
• The Food Scientist works closely with other team members.
The Food Scientist must be able to lift 30-40 lbs. with or without assistance.
The working environment is a clean, climate-controlled, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, but may require some outside maintenance as needed. Must be able to pass a drug screen as well as a criminal background check.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, and stretch. This job requires the employee to be able to read, write and communicate verbally in English.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.